Daylight Saving Time (DST) is the best time of the year to remind ourselves to do the following necessary and lifesaving tasks.
- Wash your pillows: Sweats, oils and saliva (don’t be grossed out, it’s true in some cases) on your pillows, even when you use protective covers, makes your pillow dirty. The recommended action is to wash your pillows twice a year. If you had your pillows for more than two or three years, you might consider replacing them.
- Flip your mattress: The mattress is an expensive piece of bedding and flipping it once a year is an excellent way to prolong the life of it. The recommended action is to flip your mattress twice a year. However, the DST is a good reminder of the task.
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct: Keep your clothes dryer running safely and efficiently by cleaning the exhaust duct on a regular basis. This task could be a lifesaving task as it may prevent fire.
- Replace or clean all filters in your home: Replacing or cleaning your refrigerator, heating, air-conditioning, vacuum and water filter units ensures a smooth and efficient operation of a health home.
- Test and check your smoke alarm: Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are often overlooked for proper function. DST is a perfect time to take action on two necessary things to do: check the battery and test both Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
Daylight Saving Time (DST) is a perfect timely reminder to perform some of these critical, often overlooked, household chores that keep our homes running smoothly and safely.